Wednesday, March 12, 2008

So, Mr. Speaker, will you run for mayor?

So, Mr. Speaker, will you run for mayor?

With fresh speculation that term-limited Marco Rubio may run for Miami-Dade mayor, one of the mortgage brokers who visited with him Tuesday asked the question: What's next?

"I'll give you the answer that I'm not supposed to give, a political answer. But the truth is, the job I do is a huge job. I take it very, very seriously. And I'm focused. I have like eight weeks to go as speaker of the House in terms of the legislative session and I want to do the best job I can here. And then we'll focus on the future. Honestly, there used to be a time when I could answer that question standing here.

But I have four kids, I have a wife, and they have a role to play in this as well. Well, maybe not the six month old ... Although being a Rubio, he'll learn how to speak fast. I don't have an answer for you today. Except to tell you I love public service. I would love to continue to serve in some future capacity if it's right for me, if I'm right for the job and the job is right for my family.

I do enjoy the ability to be in a place like this where I can have a voice on these issues that I think are so important. To be 36, almost 37, and be in a position to wake up in the morning, see what's wrong and try to do something about it is extraordinarily rewarding. But then again, being commissioner of the National Football League would be nice, too. And if that were to come about, then forget politics. But so far, no offers and therefore, here I am."

St. Pete Times

No comments: