Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Rubio: 'I don't want to be a prophet'

Rubio_2 House Speaker Marco Rubio more or less acknowledged this afternoon that the Legislature will not do more on property taxes. But that won't stop the House from trying.

"I don’t want to be a prophet," Rubio told the Florida Association of Mortgage Brokers. "I have no interest in being proven right three years from now. ... I'd much rather solve the problem. I'd much rather say we were part of the solution, not part of some sort of prophetic leadership that said, 'I told you so.'

"But that's where we're headed. Unless we do some meaningful things on this issue, that's where we're headed. These problems that we face, they don't go away by themselves."

Rubio said the 1.35 percent tax cap proposal is due for a hearing next week in the House. Amendment 1 will help with portability, he said, but will not stimulate the economy, as Gov. Charlie Crist repeatedly suggests. "That is not going to help us rebound, and we knew that going in."

St. Pete Times

No comments: